post by Amy Tulip, NASM CPT
Low Carb Tortilla Recipe
I love Mediterranean food: hummus, tabouli, fattoush, fried kibbee, baba ganoush. You name it, I love it! I could easily sit down with a bag of pita bread and polish off a whole sample platter, all on my own.
Last night, my husband brought home a huge platter of tabouli salad. My eyes lit up. Score! Just as I jumped up to start hunting for the pita bread, I remembered it was a low carb day. My joy immediately turned to sorrow. “Noooo!!! How could you do this to me?”
Okay, I’m not really that dramatic, but you can relate when a carb craving hits.
This morning, when I opened the fridge to prep my meals for the day, I saw the huge platter of tabouli salad taunting me again. Suddenly, I remembered a low carb tortilla recipe I stumbled upon a few weeks earlier. I decided to conquer that tabouli salad with this masterpiece:
Low Carb Tortilla Recipe (great as wraps):
- Serving size: 1 tortilla
- Calories: 100
- Fat: 2g
- Carbs: 8g (7g fiber)
- Protein: 13g
- ½ cup Egg Whites
- 2 tablespoons Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons Psyllium Husks (make sure to buy this kind)
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Feel free to add seasonings for additional flavor. I just added some sea salt.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. (I used coconut oil.)
- Split the mixture. Pour half into the heated skillet, and immediately spread it into a thin layer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and flip tortilla, cooking until your desired color. (I like everything golden brown myself.) Enjoy! The possibilities are endless – chicken wraps, fajitas, tabouli salad – yes please!